Friday, August 1, 2008
alicia serrano
This is the very first time I have ever read the California Teaching Performance Expectations. I was overwhelmed! I printed out a copy and must have spent 45 minutes reading this multiple times trying to digest it all, so it would make sense to me. I carefully went back to the initial questions for this specific assignment each time I analized each TPE. These standards seem to be very complete; however, I would think that a teacher would need to be reminded of these standards on a daily basis to properly and effectively run a classroom. Would it be wise to post these in my own classroom in the same way a grade level's standards are posted? I am thinking about including a copy inside of lesson plan books because each piece seems critical. It seems that everything that seems essential and logical for a teacher, students, and academic content to flow positively has been included. Academic planning, assessments, monitoring student learning, making content accessible, student engagement, developmentally appropriate teaching practices, teaching English learners (with constant changing demographics this piece seems essential), learning about students, instructional time, social environment, professional l, legal, and ethical obligations, and professional growth combined make a very powerful package. I do not see how one piece of these standards could be labeled as irrelevant in my opinion. They all come together as puzzle pieces to complete the picture. To delete one would make an incomplete picture. Could we debate eliminating some parts of the academic standards that we are held accountable for teaching our students? Is one standard irrelevant or more important than the others? This is a critical question that I have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's funny, on the one hand you look at a set of standards like this and think: my goodness, that's a lot of stuff I need to know and be able to do... On the other hand, how can something as infinitely complex as teaching be boiled down to just these skills? I hope as we keep working you get to the point where these performance goals become so second nature that you will not need to keep a list!
Post a Comment