Saturday, August 16, 2008
Classroom Community Chapter 1 High Expectations for Behavior
My response to this chapter is very positive. This chapter was divided into two equally important messagesd . The first one was the importance of holding high expectations for student behavior and the second one was the importance of holding high expectations for your own ability to assert authority in the classroom. If these two are in place then there will be a focus on learning. This chapter went into explaining some of the myths that are associated with not being able to establish high expectations from all students in the classroom. I was very familiar with these myths as I have heard them used as excuses from others and even from myself I am sorry to say. They discussed 5 specific myths, and I thought it would be a good idea to list them here because they do deserve some attention in my trying to discover the truth and change my way of thinking regarding this topic. The first myth mentioned was the one about emotional problems making it hard for students to behave. I have fallen into this trap before, and the reality is that there are students out there who prove this myth to be false. The second myth is that a lack of good parenting makes it difficult for a teacher to gain control in his or her classroom. Again I have fallen into that trap, and the reality is that we as teachers have the ability to make our classrooms a place where all those other pressures and stress can be left behind. The third myth is that children from poverty are unable to behave appropriately. This myth made me think of not only my own guilt in assuming this at times, but all those teachers in districts like Oakland Unified or LA Unified who make this an excuse for making low expectations for behavior. The last myth that was mentioned was that children with special needs cannot function with appropriate behavior in a regular classroom. A lot of times teachers try to excuse themselves by believing that these children can only be serviced appropriately in an SDC class. The simple reality is that all of these myths are false because they have been proven to be false. There are no excuses to expect anything less no matter the circumstances or situations that these children bring with them into the classroom. These low expectations for student behavior are tied into the teachers' belief that they are incapable of handling challenging situations in the classroom. A teacher has to have the confidence to believe in his or her authority inside that classroom. If you go into the classroom everyday with the mentality that you are not going to be able to handle your business with the students, then you have defeated yourself before you even walk in the door. Asserting your authority does not mean you are a "harsh" teacher though. This article talks about the balance between too lenient and too harsh. I will be in charge of my classroom, and I must take responsibility for what happens in there. I definately do not want to develop bad habits and start ignoring unacceptable behavior because that is just a recipe for disaster. The key is to remember that I can get all of them to adhere to high behavior expectations not just some. This chapter talks about asserting authority in a firm and positive way without screaming, yelling, bullying, degrading, or getting so frustrated that you leave teaching all together. I enjoyed reading the chart on page 10 that had three different situations and the response of the nonassertive, assertive, and hostile teacher. I chuckled a bit because I have experience in all three personally and through observation of other teachers. I have the responsibility of modeling what I say. I cannot stand there and say something and yet through my actions demonstrate something totally different to my students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
alicia, i am continually impressed by your willingness to reflect and examine your practice AND your beliefs. thinking back to the equity conversations at the retreat, i'm reminded of "it all starts with ME"...and your dedication to examining YOU gives me hope that others will do the same.
Post a Comment