Since classroom mangement has such a profound impact on student achievement, it is necessary to take a look at how teachers can create excellent management and avoid chaos. It is by no accident that this was the longest article of them all. This involves creating and supporting a high quality relationship between students and their teacher. The article defines the characteristics of effective teacher-student relationships as including appropriate levels of dominance, appropriate levels of cooperation, and awareness of high needs students.
Let us explore the first behavior which is exhibiting appropriate levels of dominance. Wubbels, Brekelmans, van Tartwijk, and Admiral define dominance as not forceful control, but as, "the teacher's ability to provide clear purpose and strong guidance regarding both academics and student behavior." Studies show that students want strong teacher guidance. This reminds me of the saying that kids want structure, and they want those boundries and limits. As a parent, I know this is true. The article goes on to provide the tools necessary to achieve this which are as follows: establishing clear behavior expectations, learning goals, and exhibiting assertive behavior. It is a system of clear rules and consequences. A teacher must reinforce acceptable behavior and providing negative consequences for undesired, unacceptable behavior. How might a teacher employ this? The article suggests that he or she may use verbal and physical reactions to behavior, prearranged signals, providing tangible recognition like tokens, or "buddy bucks", constructing group policies and those practices that would involve rewards and consequences at home. Next, a teacher must establish clear learning goals. Teachers can communicate these goals at the commecement of a unit, provide feedback, revisit the goals frequently, and again provide more feedback. Here the use of a rubric can be implemented to achieve this goal. I have used rubrics before, and the are a very helpful tool. The last point made about establishing dominance is exhibiting assertive behavior. Teachers demonstrate assertive behaviors when they use assertive body language, use appropriate tone of voice, and persist until appropriate behavior is attained.
Next, appropriate levels of cooperations are crucial to fostering effective student-teacher relationships. This simply means that students and the teacher co-exist as a team. The article lists several strategies to implement like providing flexible learning goals, taking a personal interest in students, and using equitable and positive classroom behaviors. I have used KWL charts before to help me provide this. I am open and eager to discovering about other successful ways. In terms of taking personal interest in students, I feel this is an area where I am very strong. Last year at Rocketship, I used my intervention block time of 4 hours ( I was lucky I had that much out of classroom time) to make personal contact with my students even if it was only 5 or 10 minutes with a child. I also enjoyed going over during their lunch time and helping open lunches because it provided me with the opportunity to make that extra contact. Sometimes I would go seek them out at recess to see what they were doing, and every morning I encouraged students to help me before the morning assembly started. I cannot think of functioning as a good teacher without doing this. Throughout the strategies presented in this article there are some that I have practiced and have become part of my management style; on the other hand, others I have heard of or seen other teachers do, but I need to polish them more.
Third the awareness of high needs students is critical. It was helpful to identify these students and categorize them into these groups according to unique behaviors. As a teacher, I know every single classroom has and will have these unique teaching challenges. I began associating names of children from last year and years past with the specific groups of high needs students. I will definately go back and refer to these categories, definitions, characteristics, and suggestions and infinite number of times. A common message that popped out at me during this section of the reading was, rewards rewards, rewards when these students exhibit successes.
In conclusion, this entire reading selection made me stop and think about how I can impove in my management skills. Under effective management, the classroom operates more smoothly, more effectively, and those important relationships between me and my students will blossom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow! You got busy this weekend! It will take me a while to work through your postings and give thoughtful responses. In the meantime: Keep Going!
Post a Comment