Saturday, August 2, 2008

TPE-C Neuroscience

The message here is that classroom environments must be fun. Unfortunately, the current focus in most schools across the country is standardized testing, and that has placed a damper on excitement. I tend to look at it like The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. I have questioned myself before about the lack of excitment. The last thing I want is a classroom that is boring, stressful, and monotonous. Have I sometimes been worried when it looks like there is too much fun going on during a lesson? What will the principal say? Will I get in trouble, and do not even mention those times when someone from the district, county or state comes in. You do not dare look like you are having a good time. Am I overexaggerating? Probably, just a bit. However, I have felt that many times there is no room or tolerance for fun and excitement. How do I create that in a way that does not produce complete chaos? This article gave me some suggestions. I want to build a classroom environment that makes my students feel comfortable and welcome. I want an environment that will allow them to take risks. I want them eager to come into my class wondering what exciting and thrilling adventure we might discover together. According to the article, students will, "retain what they learn when the learning is associated with strong positive emotion." (p.2) In other words, if the environment is stressful, learning stops. It is amazing how all of these chemical reactions in the brain work to either facilitate learning or stop it cold in its tracks. There is real science to support this. I was reminded of the many times I probably have put stress on my students for their making certain errors in judgement and poor choices like not doing homework or for certain other behavioral infractions. I want to create a plan with structure and consequences that is aligned with the Rocketship core values; however, I have to find a healthy and supportive balance that does not create the type of stress that will slow the currents of learning if not to stop them entirely. One of the solutions to the complex problem is found on page three "make the lesson more personally interesting and motivating." Constantly asking the questions, "why are we learning this and why is this important" should become part of the classroom culture. Presenting information at a level that they are able to connect with and understand is huge. Some of the ideas given were using the names of the students or celebrities, and items they are familiar with help provide that bridge. How many times have I created word problems, situations, or stories centered around students or their interests to instruct a lesson? Too many to count. I have been on the right track. They key is to make the information practical and comprehensible to them. When working in Alum Rock as a long term sub the past 4 years, I liked to use experiences about stores, restaurants, food, music, cultural connections, toys, movies, and anything that they were familiar with in their neighborhoods to get across information, so they could more easily apply it and made connections to what were were doing in class. It is showing children how knowledge is applied in the real world. I liked the idea about giving the students a three minute break. Each math class with be approximately 100 minutes long, so this may be a wise strategy to implement this year. I also paid careful attention to the suggestion about calling on students who have not raised their hands. I know from first hand experience how stressful that is! My classroom should be a safe haven. I need to develop ways to create nothing less than that.

No comments: