I really enjoyed these two articles. The first article, "Assuming the Best" basically sends the message that as educators we must assume the best from our students. Those classrooms that have effective management are the ones that have a system in place to prevent misbehavior before it starts. The article talks about the invisible contract that exists for both the teacher and the student. The student's contract states that the students wants to learn appropriate behavior and the teacher's contract states that he or she will do the best to teach it. We as teachers have to be very careful to make sure that we are consistent because our students are watching us to see if we are following our end of the deal. We have to be clear and say what we mean and mean what we say. Furthermore, this article provided five strategies to help yield positive results.
Strategy 1: Volume, Tone, and Posture
Take the time necessary to address the behavior at that moment. We want to avoid the "drive-thru" discipline approach. Some specifics mentioned are softening the voice, lowering the tone, and making sure not to humiliate the student.
Strategy 2: Two-by-Ten Strategy
This particular strategy called my attention more than the others because this is the first time I had ever heard of it. Target one difficult student and for 2 minutes every day over 10 days take time to have a personal conversation with this student about his or her choosing. It seems that this strategy is highly effective according to the research provided in the article. I make phone calls and talk to one particular student but it has not been over the course of 10 consecutive days, so starting on Monday, I have one student already in mind to use this strategy to establish that connection that he seems so hungry to have. I am hopeful that this strategy will be as effective and powerful as the article suggests.
Strategy 3: Break Things into Steps
Here the teacher breaks down things into smaller and more manageable steps. I can see where this strategy would be helpful for a handful of my students who are spread out among the four first grade classes.
Strategy 4: Use Behavior Rubrics
I like this one, and at Rocketship we have the Zone 0,1,2 already in place. I like the idea of also using it for getting in line, and walking in a line which at Rocketship there is a lot of rotation, so I am constantly lining up and walking students to and from the Learning Lab area.
Strategy 5: Use Visuals
Use a diagram, drawing, or photograph of what they are supposed to do. THis would be a great one to use for putting supplies away or for having them be ready at the beginning of class. What should they have out on their desk. It also gives the time limits to get it done. LOVE IT.
The big idea I took away from this article was when my little Highlander or my little Spartan act out, they are definately sending me a message that they need to connect in a positive way with me. I am getting the message, and I want to get better on acting on that.
Next, the other article we had to read is "The Teacher as Warm Demander." In high poverty schools, we cannot afford to have disengaged students because the results are not able to be repaired. THe results are dropouts, unemployment, poverty, poor health, and becoming a statistic in the criminal justice system. The stakes are very very high. I have always worked in lower income schools, and I know I will always make that choice, so this is a huge reminder to me that I cannot afford to not do my best to get them engaged. If I don't then this will set them on a path for future disaster. The article talks about how a warm demander may sound too harsh. When I think of a warm demander Preston immediately comes to my mind. I equate the warm demander with "tough love." Warm demanders are relentless about two very important things: treating each other with respect, and completing their academic tasks necessary for future success. At Rocketship respect is a huge piece of our culture and so is responsibility which fits in with the completion of academic tasks. Persistence is also a piece of the second one. The article talks about building relationships and even the small things like using the student's name, a smile, or a handshake are powerful in building those. I say good morning to each of my students as he or she walks in the door. Somtimes I give them a high five and other times I touch their shoulder and I say each student's name as he or she enters the classroom. The other piece that was useful for me was about going beyond believeing but insisting. Here again Preston is a wonderful example of this. THere are definately certain behaviors at ROcketship that are nonnegotiable. I like that idea. I like phrasing it that way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I really like how you connected the "warm demander" idea to "tough love" and the examples we see around Rocketship. I really respect how Preston and others insist upon Rockin' Rocketeer behavior while still maintaining a close and personal relationships with students. The stakes definitely are high (I got a bit of a wake-up call at one of my home visits today) and we need to give our students our best as soon as possible!
You point out some really important things about working where we are-- that the stakes are indeed very, very high and we have a big job to do. Your reflection on the "Warm Demander" took it a step further, and it was great to read and reflect on.
I'm going to try to implement some kind of a rubric for the line too, since our kids are transition so much. I know we've been sharing the same frustration on getting them in a quiet line/losing their attention as soon as After School Program starts. Using these strategies should be beneficial! Thanks!
The "warm demander" article made me think about you, Alicia, and the passion you showed at the retreat for making sure students succeed. Holding students to a high standard (while loving them and accepting them fully as people) is so important! Keep up your great work!
Hi Alicia! A lot of what you wrote resonated with me; I'm dealing with similar challenges with my high school freshmen. Figuring out how to keep upholding my end of that invisible contract is an ongoing struggle for me. We just need to hang in there, I think, and keep looking for the opportunities to learn from what our students are telling us. Good luck!
Post a Comment