Sunday, September 21, 2008

Reach 106 Behavior

This week ended on a difficult note. I had two first graders suspended on Thursday for attacking another quiet and meek first grader. I was shocked that one of the first graders was involved in this kind of physical attack because in class he is a quiet and focused. I have not once seen him bother other students or act out in a physical way whatsoever. However, the other boy, Alejandro has been in some trouble before especially last year. This past week I met with his mom in person twice, and she gave me a quick but hard education on his personal home life situation over the past few years. Due to his family situation which he has not dealt with in a positive way, he has anger issues and acts out in an attempt to gain control. He really is a nice boy, and I like him a lot, and somehow out of a total group of 80 first graders, I know that a lot of the students will do fine and will not require my having to go above and beyond. However, this boy will need a lot of my focus and attention not at the expense of setting the others aside. Alejandro is definately one of my priorities for the year. He will need my understanding, patience, extra attention, and swift action to any future aggression toward the students at school. Preston made it clear that he wants the first grade team to be aware of this problem and to act swiftly and severely when we see him bully or physically attack other children. I have started this process by trying to get to know his mom and their situation. I am lucky in the sense that she has been very open and honest as to why he is behaving this way. I see his mom as an ally in this struggle. She makes herself available and reminds me that I can call anytime to report on Alejandro's decisions for the day. So far I see her as a strong, capable, caring single mother of three elementary school age children who loves her children dearly. She has cried both times we spoke, and I have a lot of respect for her and for the choices she has made as a mom. I know I only have to make 20 home visits as the math teacher, but I am going to check in with Alejandro at least once a month at his home. His mom told me that he has been working with a child psychologist, and contacting that person will be on my to-do list as well. I plan on checking in with his mom as necessary and if that means on a daily basis then I will do that. I want to speak with Kate more about this plan as she is his literac;y teacher. I want to call not just when he has made poor decisions and not had a good day but to recognize and value when he has chosen well and has made good decisions and made me proud. I think this child needs to hear that because he has made comments to his mom like,"Mom what is wrong with me? Why can't I be like Evelyn?" Evelyn is the sister who is a model students and receives praise.


This article although very short made a lot of sense that misbeahvior usually stems from boredom, lack of attention, feelings of inadequacy, and control seekers. Children don't consistently misbehavior for the sheer pleasure of misbehaving and f inding themselves facing unpleasant consequences. There are reasons that make sense as to why misbehavior occurs. Overall, I have three really good classes with good behavior; unfortunately, my last class of the day, The HIghlanders are quite the handful. I know that getting this class on track is going to be a big job. All three students involved in the incident on Thursday are Highlanders.

1 comment:

JPFReach said...

I just wanted to say thank you for such a thoughtful comment on my last blog. Your feedback is invaluable.