Sunday, October 5, 2008

Reach 104 Assignment #1

In terms of lesson plans, I have always worked my lessons plans on a weekly basis. I can't seem to work far enough ahead of two weeks when things are running smoothly this is about as far ahead that I can go. Planning by the week has always worked well for me. When I worked in other districts because of the structured curriculums that they had I was able to do grade level lesson plans with my grade level team month by month. What I am struggling with right now at Rocketship is that even though I plan by the week, something may happen that knocks out what I had planned for that day. For example, I had to stop my content lesson two times in the second and third week of school with the Highlanders because we had to go back and do a lesson about Learning position and procedures etc. So I fell behind with that group. I am also finding it hard to plan those lessons for the differentiated groups. I have two students in the Broncos who are very very low in math. One in particular is at beginning kinder math, so I am finding that it is so challenging to create lessons just for her. It is helpful to have the CET person with me on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the first class because she helps me a lot with these two students. I am thinking that there has to be a better way to plan for these students. The ones that are high and above it is easier for me to incorporate more challenging work for them because I take it a step or two beyond, and they do fine. Overall, I have to say that I like planning by the week. I refer to the LTP to guide my weekly lessons, and so far I am comfortable. I do not feel like a fish swimming upstream. I know my planning could be better, but I know that it will get better as I learn more and practice more.

2 comments:

Claire said...

I really enjoyed reading your post, Alicia. I am having the same problem with my Cardinal as you did with the Highlanders--constantly having to stop and go back to talk about respect, behavior, procedures, etc--when I should be moving forward with instruction. Your confidence and what I perceive as ease with your plans is something I need to work towards. I am definitely "swimming upstream" right now so I need this seminar to help me out! Can't wait to hear some advice on Tuesday.

Kate said...

Alicia-
Thank you for taking the time out to do that classroom culture reinforcement with the Highlanders though. It has definitely shown in my class :) I understand what you mean about lessons getting knocked out of the way or pushed aside because classroom management issues or conversations come up... and then your planning gets so pushed back. I can't imagine how tough that would be with 4 classes. I find it hard enough when a class gets just one day "off" with phonics or whatnot, and I only have to worry about 2!

Thanks for your advice on planning too. I am definitely going to be taking it :)