Sunday, October 19, 2008
Differentiation Topic 5 Article of Choice
Since the instructions for this assignment said to give a micro response, I thought it would be a good idea for me to mention an experience I had in one of the Alum Rock schools when I was a sub. There is a student in one of the schools who is severely mentally handicapped, and she has a one-on-one paraprofessional to work with her throughout the day. I first met this student when she was in kindergarten and she was only in the scribbling stage by the end of kinder. She was retained and then moved on to first grade. In first grade, I subbed for her teacher several times that year, and even with a paraprofessional she was up and out of her seat all the time, making moaning and groaning noises, wandering around and being clearly disruptive. It was a challenge for me to be in there just several times during the school year when the teacher was out. She was given a lot of extra recess time, and was clearly not functioning very well in a regular education classroom. I guess my question is this. What rights do the parents of the other children have in making an issue out of how disruptive she was? I understand that the Individuals with Disabilities Act of 2004 presumes that the first placement option that they must consider no matter the severity of the disability is the regular ed classroom. However, it was frustrating to see just how disruptive she was, and speaking as a parent and not as a teacher, I would be concerned about the level of disruptions occuring in the classroom as a result of this particular student. I don't know if this sounds insensitive but by trying to accomodate and be fair to one student, I see that sometimes other students are being asked to give up the right to a classroom and an environment that is not full of chaos. This student was creating chaos even with a paraprofessional.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment