Monday, March 23, 2009

Reach 112 Teaching for English Learners Self-Assessment/Observation

When comparing my self-assessment to the observations notes, I realized that I have some holes that I need to fill in terms of my ELL's. Specifically I knew I was weak with explicit forms of academic language; however, upon receiving the observation notes I see where I could work it in and it be successful. I had initially had the idea of incorporating more academic English into the assessments that I give. I see that I could weave it in during the specific opportunity where I constantly remind and push students to show their work. Instead of using "check your work" I could use vocabulary like proving, evaluating, justifying etc.


I knew that I used a lot of visuals like large paper coins, a big model analog clock, base ten blocks, charts etc to conduct my math meeting. Even in the centers I have it manipulative heavy, so the students can work, touch, and see the math. I will continue to to provide manipulatives during math meeting, direct instruction, guided practice, and independent practice because I know that ELL's need that.

I need to change how I use my voice. WHen I asked the students how many agreed, my phrasing coupled with my tone clearly let the students know that I agreed, and it did not give the opportunity I was looking for to see who understood and who did not. I have to work on that so I don't give it away with my phrasing or tone.

There was one comment about my sticks being out but I was not using them. I was using them. I don't know how it was perceived that I did not call on students using the sticks. I used them to call students up to the board. Some other questions I called on students because I was targeting specific Broncos on certain concepts. I just wanted to clarify what I was doing.

In terms of thematic instruction, I was observed doing math meeting which is a daily practice of many math skills. Our theme right now is time and clocks.

I liked the suggestion that I need to incorporate more real-life connections into everything that I teach them. THis taps into respect for home language and culture which I should be able to do more. Using the knowledge that I have for the culture andlanguage and bringing that alive more in my lessons and daily math practice would be something that I could certainly do right away.

No comments: